12 Days of North Carolina Sweetpotatoes
December 10, 2020
by Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission
As we head into the chillier winter months, many people start to focus on bolstering their immune systems and staying healthy. Sweetpotatoes are a great immune-boosting food, filled with Vitamins A and C, as well as several health-promoting antioxidants.
Sweetpotatoes are one of the most versatile foods available. They work with nearly every diet and eating style, from diabetes and heart-friendly diets, to vegan and plant-based eating styles, to carnivore diets. In honor of the month of December, we want to remind you about all of the different ways you can use sweetpotatoes. Using the tune of the “12 days of Christmas,” we came up with the following ideas for you to enjoy during December:
- Hummus – You can add extra nutrients to your hummus by blending in a sweetpotato! Keep it spicy with our Spicy Sweetpotato Hummus, or make a sweet dessert hummus by adding cinnamon, nutmeg and maple syrup.
- Nachos – Did you know you can substitute the nacho chips for sweetpotato slices as the base? Sweetpotato Nachos are easily personalized – just add your favorite toppings! Make them in a skillet or in the oven – whichever you prefer. A great appetizer for game day or an easy customized family dinner idea.
- Burgers – A great way to include more vegetables into your favorite burger is by mashing a sweetpotato into the batter. These BBQ Apple Sweetpotato Burgers are easily made on the grill or stove. Top with your favorite type of cheese! Or, mash sweetpotatoes into a Sweetpotato Hamburger Casserole for a cozier dish.
- Energy Bites – Sweetpotato energy bites make for a great snack! They do not require any baking and are delicious right out of the fridge. These Sweetpotato Coconut Energy Bites provide a great balance of carbohydrates, fat and protein and are ideal before or after a workout.
- Lasagna – Sweetpotato Spinach Lasagna packs in several servings of veggies, along with some fiber. Great for the whole family!
- Breakfast Hash – Did you know you can have a balanced, colorful breakfast hash made in the oven? This Sheet Pan Sweetpotato Hash blends sweetpotatoes, turkey sausage and a fried egg. Your typical breakfast hash will never be the same.
- Oatmeal – Start your day off with our wonderful orange superfood by mashing sweetpotatoes into your oatmeal, like in this Sweetpotato Banana Oatmeal Breakfast Pudding. If you like to meal prep and cook in bulk, try this Sweetpotato Blueberry Baked Oatmeal, filled with fiber and extra antioxidants. Top it with your favorite nut butter or yogurt for more staying power.
- Stuffed Pasta Shells – Sweetpotatoes make a great addition to your favorite pasta dish. Whether you’re meshing them in a pasta bake, layering them in lasagna, or stuffing them in stuffed pasta shells, these are sure to please the masses!
- Tacos – You have a few options for adding sweetpotatoes to your next Taco Tuesday. Slather mashed sweetpotatoes on the tortillas for an alternative to guacamole. Or, add diced sweetpotatoes to the tacos, like in these Roasted Sweetpotato Cauliflower Tacos.
- Soup – Soup is perfect for these chilly months and we have several options. Warm up with our Curried Sweetpotato Soup, Roasted Cauliflower Sweetpotato Soup or Sweetpotato Poblano Soup.
- Cornbread – Sweetpotato Cornbread is the perfect addition to your holiday gathering! Wow your guests with this healthier version of their favorite side.
- Pizza Crust – We bet you’ve never considered making a pizza crust out of mashed sweetpotatoes, but this is another creative way to use these orange superfoods. Sweetpotato Pizza Crust provides a gluten free and vegan pizza crust option.
How are you enjoying sweetpotatoes this month? No matter the occasion or time of day, sweetpotatoes can help boost your energy while providing ample nutrients.
Have a happy and healthy holiday season!