Sweetpotato Spinach Lasagna
- 5 cups sweetpotatoes from North Carolina (approx. 3-4)
- 1 1/4 lb leaf spinach
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, in cubes
- 1 garlic clove
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup wheat flour type 405
- 2 cups cold whole milk
- 1/2 cup grated cheese
- 2 tbsp breadcrumbs
- salt, pepper, pinch of nutmeg
- Peel sweetpotatoes, cut them into 1 cm thick slices and cook in boiling salted water for about 8 minutes until soft. Clean and wash the spinach and cook briefly in boiling salted water until collapsed. Drain, rinse cold and squeeze out with the hands.
- Preheat oven to 160°C convection oven (180°C top and bottom heat). Grease a fireproof mould. Briefly sauté onion cubes and garlic in hot olive oil. Mix in the spinach and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Melt butter, stir in the flour and add the cold milk. Bring to the boil and season.
- Alternately layer sweetpotato slices, spinach and some sauce in the mould. Finish with a layer of sweetpotatoes and sauce. Sprinkle everything with cheese and breadcrumbs and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
Tip: Instead of spinach you can also use chard - or the classic Bolognese.