Sweet Potato Poblano Soup
Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by
Limone’s Mexican Restaurant
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 small yellow onions, diced
- ½ cup of corn kernels
- 2 small carrots, diced
- 2 poblano pepper chilies, seeded and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 quarts water
- 3½ cups (28 ounces) of coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1½ cups chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: Fresh cilantro, fresh green onion and crème fraiche
- Place olive oil in a large soup pot set over medium heat.
- Add sweet potatoes, onions, corn, carrots, poblano peppers and garlic to the pot.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for about 10 minutes until the vegetables are browned making sure not to burn the vegetables.
- Add the water to the pot, bring to a simmer and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, spices and cilantro to the pot. Simmer soup for another 20 minutes on low heat.
- Add the salt and simmer the soup for 15 more minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat and cool.
- When soup has cooled, puree it using an immersion blender, blender or food processor.
- Add more water as needed if soup is too thick. Ladle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro, green onion, and crème fraiche.
Makes 8 servings.