Sweetpotato Hamburger Casserole
This Hamburger Casserole is a better-for-you, homemade Hamburger Helper that is made with N.C. Sweetpotato puree, warm spices, and ground turkey for a healthy and EASY weeknight dinner.Recipe developed for the North Carolina Sweetpotato Commission by Fit Foodie Finds.
Calories: 680Print Recipe
- 1 lb Lean ground turkey
- 1/2 Medium yellow onion, minced
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Ground pepper
- 1/4 tsp Powdered mustard
- 3 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 Medium N.C. sweetpotato, cooked and pureed
- 1/2 cup Chicken broth (or any kind of broth)
- 1 cup Colby jack cheese
- Salt, to taste
- 16 oz Shells (or any kind of noodle)
- Additional shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Cook and prepare your sweet potato puree by following our How to Make Sweet Potato Puree post for details. Option to also use canned sweet potato puree. You’ll need about 1 cup. Set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 16 ounces of shell pasta to boiling water. Cook pasta until it is almost cooked. You want the pasta to still have a bite to it (harder than al dente) as it will continue to cook in the oven.
- Strain pasta, rinse with cold water and set aside.
- Next, heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil. When olive oil is fragrant, add ground turkey. Break the turkey up into small pieces. Add in the rest of the ingredients for the ground turkey mixture, mix, and cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Lower oven temperature to 375ºF and place your sweet potato puree into a blender or food processor with all the ingredients for the sweetpotato cheese sauce. Blend until all ingredients are combined and the sauce is nice and smooth.
- Spray a large 9×13-inch casserole dish with olive oil cooking spray. Place noodles, ground turkey, and sweet potato sauce into the casserole dish and mix until everything is coated in the sweetpotato cheese sauce. Sprinkle with shredded cheese (optional) and place into the oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove, let cool for 10 minutes, and sprinkle on fresh parsley.