Developed by Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission
Calories: 420Print Recipe
- 2 apples, I used gala
- 1/8 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp Italian seasoning
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 2 medium sweetpotatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 whole wheat buns
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- dash of sea salt
- ¼ cup barbeque sauce
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cut 1 apple in half.
- Grate apple into medium sized bowl.
- Add spices, mashed sweetpotatoes and ground turkey.
- Shape mixture into 5-6 medium size patties.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium high heat.
- Add burgers to pan and cook through, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- While burgers are cooking, toast bun about 3-5 minutes in oven (optional)
- Cut remaining apple into slices to top turkey burger (optional).
- Top with bbq sauce and sliced cheese.