Skillet Sweetpotato Nachos
Developed for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission by Chef Cheetie Kumar of Garland in Raleigh, N.C.
Calories: 450Print Recipe
- 1 1/2 lbs NC sweetpotatoes, peeled and cut crosswise into thin rounds
- 1/2 cup Extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp Freshly ground coriander seed
- 1 tsp Whole cumin seed
- Kosher salt (to taste)
- 1 Small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Jalapeño or serrano , sliced crosswise
- 3/4 inch Piece of fresh ginger, peeled and finely diced
- 1/3 cup Red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1 Medium ripe tomato
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 cup Cooked or canned black beans , drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves Garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Chipotle peppers in adobo, chopped if whole
- 2 tbsp NC honey
- 1/4 cup Water
- 6 oz Melting cheese (such as Monterey Jack, cheddar, Chihuahua), grated
- 2-3 tbsp Crema or sour cream (thinned out with buttermilk or cream)
- Cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Toss sweetpotato rounds in a bowl with oil; Coat with salt, coriander and ground cumin.
- Spread rounds on a sheet pan in single layer (as much as possible); Roast for 12-15 minutes till golden and fully cooked.
- Remove rounds from oven and set aside.
- Combine the sliced onions with jalapenos, ginger and salt; Toss with vinegar and lemon juice and set aside.
- Core and dice the tomato and put in a bowl with salt and lime juice.
- In a small pan, heat extra virgin olive oil till hot and add whole cumin seeds; When they are sizzling and just turning brown, pour this hot oil mixture over the tomatoes and combine, then set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the remaining olive oil. Add chopped garlic and when fragrant, add the drained black beans and season with salt. Cook while stirring for a couple of minutes. Add chipotles and honey with a little water. Fold to combine. Taste for salt and remove from heat.
- On a griddle or cookie sheet, spread a layer of the roasted sweetpotatoes. Spoon some black beans all over and top with cheese. Repeat for at least one more layer. Put in oven (still at 375) till cheese is melting and bubbly.
- Serve on the skillet or simply lift the whole thing from the pan onto a wide plate. Top with crema, pickled onions and tomato- be sure to get some of the tomato juice onto the dish!