9 of Our Favorite Sweetpotato Soup Recipes to Enjoy in the New Year
January 19, 2021
by Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission
It’s soup season and there’s nothing cozier than a warm bowl of coziness during these cold winter months. Soup can be a great way to increase your nutrient intake as well as your hydration, whether it be after a workout or throughout a dry, winter day.
Sweetpotatoes are extremely versatile and make a great addition to soups and stews. Not only do they offer more texture and flavor, but they also elevate the nutrition content of that soup as well! Sweetpotatoes are high in immune-boosting ingredients, like Vitamins A and C, and also offer micronutrients like potassium and B-Vitamins.
These soups are some of our favorites featuring sweetpotatoes, and can help keep you warm, boost your immune system, and keep you energized throughout the day.
- Curried Sweetpotato Soup – This tasty soup requires only six ingredients! The heavy cream helps boost the consistency and bring out the flavor for this warm meal. It tastes best served with crispy onions, croutons, or some bread.
- Roasted Cauliflower Sweetpotato Soup – Packed with onions, garlic and cayenne, this anti-inflammatory soup will open your nasal passages and keep you satisfied. Filled with Vitamins A, C and antioxidants, this soup can be served thick and creamy, or thinner.
- Tortilla Soup – If you’re someone who loves a good crunch in your soup, this tortilla soup is for you! It uses a whole chicken and is elevated with ingredients like tomato, corn, carrots, peppers and chipotle. Serve with tortillas, tortilla chips or croutons.
- Sweetpotato Poblano Soup – This Mexican inspired soup is filled with delicious vegetables, including sweetpotatoes, onions, carrots, poblano peppers, and corn. They are decorated with a variety of spices to produce an eclectic and memorable flavor.
- Curried Sweetpotato Apple Soup – The perfect combination of sweet and savory, this soup boasts a spicy kick of curry powder and a creamy consistency. It tastes wonderful served with cheese, and topped with croutons.
- Red Eye Sweetpotato Soup – Looking for an extra boost in your soup for an afternoon pick me up? This Red Eye Sweetpotato Soup can help with that! It is made with sweetpotatoes, ham, cream fraiche, onion, coffee and peppercorns.
- Jalapeno Sweetpotato Chowder – For a different spin on your soup, you may want to try our Jalapeno Sweetpotato Chowder! It makes for a filling meal, offering carbohydrates, protein and fat, along with sufficient flavor. You’ll mix onions, pureed sweetpotatoes, chicken stock, chicken, corn, jalapenos, and heavy cream to make this hearty meal.
- Sweetpotato Chipotle Coconut Bisque – This bisque offers a great way to use coconut milk and combine flavors of sweet and smoky. With ingredients like black pepper, lime juice, cumin, chipotles in adobo sauce, coconut milk, curry powder and cilantro, your taste buds will be screaming (in a good way)!
- Red Curry Sweetpotato and Leek Stew – For a thicker stew meal option that provides “comfort with a kick,” consider this Thai inspired meal. It works well enjoyed as a soup or stew, or paired with your favorite meat.
Make sure to share with us: Have you ever included sweetpotatoes in a soup before? What’s your favorite soup recipe?