Kale and Sweetpotato Baked Mac n Cheese Casserole
Whether you prefer pasta before or after a run (or both), this kale and sweetpotato baked mac ‘n cheese casserole is the perfect option to fuel your activity, filled with replenishing carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants, iron and electrolytes.
Prep Time: 10 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Calories: 459.7Print Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 Medium sweetpotatoes, cooked and masked (about 2 cups)
- 6 Cups whole wheat pasta, We used rotini
- 2 Cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- ¾ Teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 eggs
- ¼ Cup low fat milk
- 1¼ Cups shredded mozzarella , (or cheese of choice) and a handful more for topping.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Coat the inside of a large casserole dish with olive oil or butter.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions (but keep al dente).
- While pasta is cooking, saute kale in olive oil with spices for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
- Drain cooked pasta and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add pasta, mashed sweet potatoes, spices, and kale to medium bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and cheese, and add to pasta and sweet potato mixture.
- Mix well and and pour into large casserole dish, reserving extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese has melted and top begins to brown.
Note – Remember not to overcook the pasta since it will further cook during baking.