Kale and Sweetpotato Baked Mac n Cheese Casserole
Whether you prefer pasta before or after a run (or both), this kale and sweetpotato baked mac ‘n cheese casserole is the perfect option to fuel your activity, filled with replenishing carbohydrates, protein, antioxidants, iron and electrolytes.Created by: Bucket List Tummy
Calories: 459.7Print Recipe
- 2 Tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 2 Medium sweetpotatoes, cooked and masked (about 2 cups)
- 6 Cups whole wheat pasta, We used rotini
- 2 Cups chopped kale, stems removed
- 1 Teaspoon paprika
- ¾ Teaspoon salt
- 3 Tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3 eggs
- ¼ Cup low fat milk
- 1¼ Cups shredded mozzarella , (or cheese of choice) and a handful more for topping.
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Coat the inside of a large casserole dish with olive oil or butter.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions (but keep al dente).
- While pasta is cooking, saute kale in olive oil with spices for 2-3 minutes, or until slightly wilted.
- Drain cooked pasta and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Once cooled, add pasta, mashed sweet potatoes, spices, and kale to medium bowl and stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and cheese, and add to pasta and sweet potato mixture.
- Mix well and and pour into large casserole dish, reserving extra cheese to sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until cheese has melted and top begins to brown.
Note – Remember not to overcook the pasta since it will further cook during baking.