Sweet Potato & Sage Mac n’ Cheese
Created by a registered dietitian for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 1 1/2 pounds (3 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound whole-wheat or gluten-free pasta
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter (for vegan version, use Earth Balance)
- 10 to 12 large fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and return to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until fork-tender. Drain well and transfer to a blender.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pasta pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta following package instructions. Drain well, return to saucepan, and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together soy milk, nutritional yeast, cornstarch, Dijon mustard, onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, cayenne pepper (if using), and black pepper.
- In a 2-quart saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add half of the sage (reserve the remaining sliced sage leaves) and all of the garlic; cook just until they are aromatic and begin to brown. Whisk in the soy milk mixture. Reduce heat to medium low and cook until thick.
- Add the sauce and lemon juice to the sweet potatoes in the blender and blend until thick and smooth. Toss with the cooked pasta, reheat gently if necessary; taste and add salt &pepper if desired. Serve topped with the reserved sliced sage.
Number of servings (yield): 6 servings (about 1 ½ cups)
*The nutritional analysis was done using whole wheat pasta.