Sweetpotato Pecan Pie
Recipe developed by Chef Mary Jayne Wilson of Amelie's French Bakery & Cafe in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- 5 oz Brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 1/8 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tbsp Vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs
- 5-6 North Carolina sweetpotatoes
- 1.5 oz Pie dough
- 5 tbsp Butter, unsalted
- 1 cup Light brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup Light corn syrup
- 1/2 tbsp Fine salt
- 2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
- 3 Eggs, lightly beaten
- Roll out about 1.5 oz of pie dough into a round to line a mini pie pan. Let rest in refrigerator.
- Wash sweetpotatoes. Place on a sheet pan and bake for an hour or until done. They should be soft, and a fork should easily penetrate the potato.
- Allow the sweetpotatoes to cool completely. Remove the skins and place them into a mixing bowl.
- Combine brown sugar and eggs with the sweetpotatoes. Turn the mixer on medium speed and mix thoroughly.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and vanilla extract to mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
- Fill lined pie tin halfway with sweet potato mixture and bake at 350*F for 15 min or until set up.
- Mix all ingredients until fully incorporated.
- Once sweetpotato portion is fully baked, pull out of oven and fill the rest of the crust with pecan pieces, (about 1⁄4 cup per pie) and then cover and fully fill with pecan filling.
- Bake again at 350*F for 15-18 minutes, until pecan filling has set.
Serves: 6 people