Old-Fashioned Sliced Sweetpotato Pie
Our old fashioned sweetpotato pie will take you back to grandma’s kitchen with just one bite! This sweetpotato pie recipe is a classic that the whole family will enjoy. Whether you are entertaining guests or just in the mood for a week-night treat, this recipe does not disappoint. Easy to make and even easier to enjoy. Serve this old fashioned sweetpotato pie with a scoop of your favorite vanilla ice cream, a dollop of fresh whipped cream, or simply by itself. And most importantly, don’t forget to share amongst loved ones! Recipe courtesy of Chef Matt Johnson, School of Natural Cookery, CO
- Pastry for a 9-inch double crust pie
- 3 medium sweetpotatoes, about 2-1/4 pounds, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits
- Preheat oven to 425º Line a 9-inch pie plate with 1 layer of pastry; set aside.
- Combine 1 cup of water and the salt in a large saucepan. Add sweetpotatoes; cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until sweetpotatoes are just barely tender when pierced, about 5 minutes. Drain slices, rinse with cold water until cool to touch. Drain slices well; transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- To sweetpotatoes, add sugars, lemon juice, flour and pumpkin pie spice. Toss gently with a spatula until slices are evenly coated. Spoon sweetpotatoes into pastry-lined pie plate; dot top of potatoes with butter. Place top pastry over filling and crimp top and bottom pastries together to make decorative edge. Cut 3 to 4 slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in oven until crust is browned and sweetpotatoes are tender when pierced, about 50 minutes.
- Cool pie on wire rack at least 1 hour. Serve warm or cool.
- If edges of crust start to brown too quickly, drape lightly with strips of foil.
Number of servings (yield): 8 Nutrition per serving (1 slice): 440 calories; 5 g protein; 75 g carbohydrates; 5 g dietary fiber; 14 g total fat