SWEET POTATO HASHBROWN CASSEROLE
Developed by Sarah Schlichter, MPH, RDN for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission
Prep time: 15-20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups shredded sweet potatoes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 roma tomato, diced
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1 tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Set oven to 350.
- Wash, dry and peel sweet potatoes.
- Shred potatoes into hashbrown size.
- Melt butter in pan over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, red pepper and tomato, sautéing until soft (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add 1/2 tsp salt, pepper and garlic powder and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs thoroughly and slowly add in milk. Add the other 1/2 tsp salt.
- Stir in the cheese, shredded sweet potatoes and sautéed vegetable mixture. Layer more cheese on top, if desired.
- Transfer to 8×8 baking dish
- Bake 40-50 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through and set.
- Enjoy immediately!
Yield: 4 -6 servings
Recipe analyzed for 4 servings