Sweetpotato Chorizo Hand Tarts
Adapted from Willow Bird Baking, Finalist in the No More ‘Mallows Contest
- 1 medium North Carolina sweetpotato, 1/2 pound, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pound Mexican chorizo
- 1 heaping tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 (15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 2- crust recipe pie pastry or 1 package refrigerated pie pastry
- Optional garnishes: lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, guacamole
- Preheat the oven to 400° Toss sweetpotato pieces with 2 teaspoons of olive oil, the chili powder and salt to taste. Spread sweetpotatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet; roast until fork-tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine cream cheese and 2 tablespoons of the Cheddar cheese.
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, brown the chorizo until it is fully cooked through; spoon it over the cheese mixture; mix well.
- Without wiping the skillet, add the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and cumin; cook and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the beans; cook until fully warmed through. Add bean mixture to the cheese and chorizo; mix gently until combined.
- When the sweetpotatoes are fully cooked, fold them into the mixture. Add lime juice and salt to taste.
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper or cooking spray. Roll out each half of the pie pastry to an 11-inch round (or unroll prepared pastry round and cut it into 6 triangles. Divide the sweetpotato mixture and the remaining Cheddar cheese onto 6 of the triangles. Moisten the edges of the triangles; top each with one of the remaining 6 triangles. Crimp the edges together with a fork; cut a steam vent in each pastry.
- Bake on baking sheet until golden brown, about 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm with lime wedges, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, and/or guacamole.
Yield: 6 servings