Sweetpotato Snack Cake
Recipe by Sweetish. A sweet little cake is just perfect to share during parties or just enjoy for a dessert the family will love! Not to mention, sweetpotatoes add the perfect amount of moisture the cake, and the pecans make this recipe pure magic.
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose, unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons medium-grain kosher salt
- 2 cups, minus 2 tablespoons, sugar
- 2 cups sweetpotato, mashed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 cup sunflower oil or coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted (add more if desired!)
- 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate discs or large chocolate bar, chopped into large chunks (optional)
- Bake 6-8 medium-sized sweetpotatoes at 400 degrees F for 1 hour. Potatoes should be soft and fragrant. Set aside to cool.
- Peel and mash sweetpotatoes in a medium-sized bowl. Measure out two cups of sweet potato, mash it up and set aside. (Mash should be room temperature).
- Toast the pecans, if not already toasted. Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake nuts on a clean sheet pan for 8-10 minutes until dark brown. Take care not to burn them. They should be fragrant but smell burned.
- Lower oven temperature again to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9 X 13″ pan with softened butter.
- Using a whisk, combine all dry ingredients except sugar in a large bowl, set aside.
- In another large bowl, combine sweetpotato mash, sugar and buttermilk. Add eggs one at a time and whisk until combined. Slowly stream in oil, and whisk until combined. Add wet mixture/sweetpotato into dry ingredients, folding in together.
- Once ingredients are almost combined, add pecans and chocolate. Fold gently until incorporated and do not over mix.
- Pour batter into greased cake pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until cake is set. It should be very golden brown on the top and the center of the cake should spring slightly when pressed.
- Cool completely for 20-30 minutes before serving.