Sweet Potato Pie Fruit Leather
Registered dietitian finalist for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 1 medium to large sweet potato
- 1 medium ripe pear
- 1 medium sweet apple (like Gala or Honeycrisp)
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (available in the spice section of the grocery story)
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees and set an oven rack to the middle position.
- Line a cookie sheet with a Silpat silicone baking mat or other nonstick baking mat
- Peel and cut fruit and sweet potato into 1-inch pieces, approximately 4 cups total.
- Put fruit and sweet potato into a microwaveable bowl, and microwave on high approximately 8 minutes or until everything is soft and tender.
- Transfer contents to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the chopping blade. Add maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice and puree mixture until completely smooth.
- Pour mixture onto the Silpat and using a regular or offset spatula, spread mixture out to the edges until evenly thin and smooth.
- Bake on a middle oven rack for 4-5 hours, until fruit leather is firm to the touch and pulls away from the baking mat easily.
- Let cool completely, and cut into even strips. Store extra strips rolled up in an airtight bag or container.
Number of servings (yield): 10 pieces (about 1-inch x 15-inches long)