Sweetpotato Creme Brulee
Recipe courtesy of Chef Warren Stephens
- 2 large sweetpotatoes
- 1-3/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tbl fresh lemon juice
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 tbl vanilla
- 12 egg yolks
- Bake sweetpotatoes in center of 325º F oven until tender, about 1 hour. Peel sweetpotatoes and puree until smooth. Combine sweetpotato puree, 1/4 cup sugar, sour cream and lemon juice; mix well.
- Butter 10 (7-ouncramekins; sprinkle with sugar). Spoon 1/4-inch layer of sweetpotato mixture (about 3 tablespoon into ramekins). Set ramekins in 9 x 13 x 2-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In saucepan, combine whipping cream, 3/4 cup sugar and vanilla bean. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; and stir in vanilla. Mix egg yolks with remaining 3/4 cup sugar. Blend hot cream into egg yolk mixture.
- Fill ramekins with egg mixture. Place in center of oven at 325º. Pour enough hot water into baking dish to come halfway up sides of ramekins. Bake 55 minutes or until knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove ramekins from water to a wire rack and cool. Chill in refrigerator.
- To make decorative golden sugar garnish: Heat additional 1/2 cup sugar in heavy small skillet over medium heat until melted. Drizzle sugar onto lightly buttered baking sheet with a fork. Let stand until cook. Break into large pieces.
- At serving time, sprinkle ramekins with sugar if desired, place under broiler to brown sugar; garnish with golden sugar pieces.
Number of servings (yield): 10