Sweet Potato Shortbread Cookie Bar
- 1½ cups mashed sweet potatoes (cooled to room temp)
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg (room temp)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons melted butter cooled to room temp
- 1½ sleeves of Nabisco™ Shortbread cookies (approx 30)
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
Cream Cheese Glaze
- ¼ cup cream cheese (room temp)
- ½ cup confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon cream or milk (or more to thin to your liking)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 375° F. Line a 9×13 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Crush cookies in to fine crumbs using a food processor or put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin.
- In a medium bowl add cookie crumbs, melted butter and sugar. Mix until all the cookie crumbs are wet. Pour into prepared pan and press down with your hands, making sure the crust is even and goes right to the sides and into the corners.
- Bake for 7 minutes.
- Remove and let cool while you make your bars.
- Set oven to 350° F.
- In a large bowl add sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix until no lumps remain.
- Add sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt all and once and mix just until no streaks of flour remain. Batter will be thick. Add in melted butter and stir until the butter is incorporated into the batter.
- Pour on top of your shortbread cookie crust and spread out taking care not to pull up your crust as you move the cake mixture around.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool. When cool, drizzle with cream cheese glaze, slice into squares and serve.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- With an electric mixer beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Sift in confectioner’s sugar and add vanilla. Beat again until well mixed.
- Add cream or milk to thin. If you prefer a thinner glaze, add a little more milk until your desired consistency.
Recipe analyzed for 12 servings.