Sweet Potato Bread French Toast
Recipe: Sweet Potato Bread French Toast
Summary: Recipe couresty of Chef Tim Groody, Sonoma California Bistro & Wine Bar, Charlotte, NC
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active yeast
- 2-1/2 cups bread flour,divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves
- Preheat oven to 375º F.
- In small saucepan combine sweet potato, milk and water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sweet potato is tender. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup liquid.
- Sprinkle yeast over hot cooking liquid (120 degree F to 130 F); stir to dissolve.
- Mash sweet potato; add to yeast mixture with 1 cup flour, sugar and salt; mix well.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- When dough has doubled, punch down and stir in beaten egg and butter. Add remaining 1-1/2 cups flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form soft dough; mix well.
- Knead dough on floured surface 10 minutes or until smooth.
- Shape dough into loaf.
- Place in greased 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake in center of oven 30 to 35 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Remove from pan. Cool on wire rack.
- To make French Toast:
- Cut Sweet Potato Bread into 8 thick slices. Cut each slice into three sticks.
- Blend 4 beaten eggs with 3 tablespoons milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla and a pinch each of cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
- Dip bread sticks into egg mixture. Cook in butter over medium heat in large skillet or griddle until golden brown.
- To serve, stack bread sticks on serving plate alternately forming a square and in a log cabin fashion. Drizzle with bottled blueberry syrup. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Garnish with fresh blueberries, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 1 loaf