Baked Sweet Potato French Toast Casserole
Baked Sweet Potato French Toast
Rebekka Olsen ~ Durham, NC
- 1 loaf French bread (13-16 oz)
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash salt
- Praline Topping, recipe follows
- Maple syrup
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Slice French bread into 1-inch slices.
- Arrange slices in 2 rows, in a generously buttered 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sweet potato, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat until blended.
- Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly.
- Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The Next Morning:
- Preheat oven to 350° degrees F.
- Combine all ingredients listed under Praline Topping in a medium bowl and blend well.
- Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread
- Bake for 40 minutes, until bread is puffed and lightly golden.
- Serve with maple syrup.