Created by Marshall Davis of Gallo Pelón Mezcaleria, Raleigh, North Carolina
- 1 oz Cruzan Blackstrap Rum
- ¾ oz Slingshot Coffee Liqueur
- ¼ oz Mezcal Vago Elote
- Whole egg
- ¾ oz fresh orange juice
- ¾ oz sweet potato orgeat
- 2 dashes black walnut bitters
- Add all ingredients to your tin and dry shake to emulsify.
- Shake with ice and double-strain into chilled coupe.
- Garnish with orange zest.
Sweet Potato Orgeat
3 cups near-boiling water
2 oz sweet potato chunks (roasted at 350 degrees F until caramelized)
2¼ cups granulated sugar
5 oz shelled pecans
1 oz Jamaican Rum (Wray & Nephew)
Tools: Blender, quart-size glass jar, nut-milk bag (or fine strainer and cheesecloth)
- In a blender, combine the water, sweet potato and pecans and blend on high for 2 full minutes—the longer you blend, the more refined your finished syrup will be.
- Fine-strain the nut mixture through a nut-milk bag or a fine-mesh strainer lined with multiple layers of cheesecloth into a jar. ￼
- Add the sugar and blend again for an additional minute.
- Add 1 oz Jamaican Rum to help preserve.
- Pour into a glass jar, cap and keep refrigerated for up to 1 month. Makes ~1 quart.