Pear Ginger Sweet Potato Shake
Registered dietitian finalist for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 2 1/2 cups light vanilla soymilk, divided
- 1/2 cup 1% cottage cheese
- 1 banana, peeled
- 1 pear, cored and cubed
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups ice, depending upon preferred thickness
- Remove sweet potato pulp from potato skin; discard skins. Add pulp to a blender with 1 ½ cups soymilk and cottage cheese. Puree for 2 to 3 minutes or until completely smooth, scraping down edges of blender pitcher with a spatula, if necessary.
- Add frozen banana and pear, remaining 1 cup soymilk, yogurt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, vanilla and maple syrup. Puree until blended and smooth, stopping blender to scrape sides if necessary. Add 2 cups ice and pulse to chop; blend until smooth. Add remaining 1 cup ice, if desired, to reach a thicker consistency.
- Pour into 4 glasses and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4 smoothies or 8 ½ cups