Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Mascarpone Cheese
Recipe: North Carolina Sweet Potato Gnocchi With Mascarpone Cheese
Summary: Recipe courtesty of Chef Brian Stapleton of Carolina Crossroads,Chapel Hill, NC
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 medium russet potato
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup herb, vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 1 bunch sage, finely chopped
- Roast sweet potatoes in center of oven at 300º F, about 1 hour or until tender; peel and keep warm.
- Place russet potato in boiling water and cook until tender; drain. Peel and coarsely chop.
- In a rice mill*, rice warm sweet potatoes and russet potato. Stir in flour, egg, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper; mix well. Place sweet potato mixture into pastry bag fitted with ½-inch diameter tip.
- Bring water to boil in large, open pot.
- Squeeze pastry tube over boiling water, cutting mixture with kitchen shears at ½-inch intervals. Cook in boiling water until dough floats to the surface. Drain and keep warm. Repeat with remaining dough.
- To make sauce: In a saucepan, heat shallots, garlic, sugar, cream and stock; add mascarpone and sage. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Combine gnocchi with sauce and serve.
*If ricer is not available, press potatoes through a coarse sieve.
Number of servings (yield): 10