Sweet Potato Chicken Pot Pies
Recipe: Sweet Potato Chicken Pot Pies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1-1/2 cups 1/2-inch diced and peeled sweet potatoes
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup chopped scallions
- 1 cup cooked green peas
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and cook, stirring constantly, about 2 minutes. Slowly whisk in stock until you have a smooth sauce.
- Bring to a boil and add sweet potatoes, chicken, scallions, peas, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook on low, stirring frequently until sweet potatoes are tender, 6-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool 5-10 minutes. Divide between 4 medium-sized ovenproof bowls.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cut 4 circles from puff pastry, each large enough to cover the top of bowls. Brush rims of bowls with water and place a pastry round on top of each, pressing edges tightly to seal. Brush tops of pastry with egg wash.
- Place prepared bowls on a baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes or until puffed and golden-brown.
- Let rest 5 minutes before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 4