Baked Sweetpotato Sticks
- 2 medium sweetpotatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt, optional
- 1/8 tsp. pepper, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and spray two baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Peel the sweetpotatoes and cut into slices no thicker than 1/4 inch. Stack two or three slices at a time and cut strips no wider than 1/4 inch.
- In a medium-size bowl, beat the egg whites with a fork or a whisk for about a minute until they are frothy. Place the potato strips into the bowl and gently toss them until well coated.
- Lay the sticks on the baking sheets in a single layer. The potatoes should not touch each other.
- Bake the potatoes for 30-35 minutes, checking them after 15 minutes to make sure they’re browning on the bottom but are not turning completely brown.
- Remove the baking sheets from the oven and sprinkle the potato chips with salt and pepper. Use a spatula to remove the sticks from the pans. (You may need to use a bit of force, but most of the sticks should remain intact.)
Hint: You can use kosher salt to season the potatoes. It’s fun to put the salt in a small bowl so kids can take a pinch and toss it on the fries.