Sweetpotato Power Salad
Created for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission by:
Carol Brown, Mebane, NC
- 4-6 Sweetpotatoes, peeled and diced to yield 6 cups
- 2 teaspoons plus 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 ½ bunch curly kale, rinsed and chopped to yield 7-8 cups
- Juice of ½ large lemon
- 1 (15oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large avocado, pitted and diced
- ½ cup cranberries
- ½ cup coarsely chopped almonds
- ¼ cup red onion chopped
- ½ – ¾ cup Feta or Goat Cheese
For the Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar (or white vinegar)
PREHEAT OVEN: 375 degrees
In large bowl place sweetpotatoes. In small bowl, whisk together lightly: 2 teaspoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper. Toss on sweetpotatoes and place potatoes on large sheet pan and bake 35-40 minutes until tender and flip once during baking. **This step can be done the night before.
PREPARE DRESSING: Whisk together 2 Tablespoons pure maple syrup, 2 Tablespoons olive oil, and ¼ cup balsamic vinegar.
PREPARE KALE: Place chopped kale in large bowl. In small bowl, whisk lightly together: 1 Tablespoon olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, juice of ½ large lemon. Pour over kale and massage with hands until mixed, about 1 minute.
This softens and tenderizes the kale. Add to bowl cranberries, almonds, red onion, avocado, sweetpotatoes and cheese. Toss with salad dressing and serve. Serve with warm multigrain bread and enjoy a healthy lunch. This recipe is “VEGAN” friendly (if you omit cheese). Serve & Enjoy.