Recipe Developed by Tessa Nguyen, RD, LDN in partnership with NCSPCLean beef sliders crusted with shredded sweet potatoes make for a versatile gluten free, low cost and diabetes friendly entrée.
- 1 pound lean ground beef, 93% lean, 7% fat
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1 sweetpotato, cut into ¼-inch strips
- 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- Mix together ground beef, salt, black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil. Divide seasoned beef into 4 even sliders.
- Press each slider into the sweetpotato strips, pressing firmly to ensure each side is coated and sweetpotato adheres well.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Cook sliders for 5 minutes on each side, until sweetpotatoes are golden brown and sliders are cooked through.
- While sliders are cooking, make the basil mayo. Mix together 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 cup low fat mayonnaise and the juice and zest of 1 lime.
- Serve sliders hot with the basil mayo and any other slider toppings including lime wedges, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced onions.
You can substitute 1 teaspoon of dried basil for the 1 tablespoon of fresh basil. Recipe analyzed for 6 servings, without mayonnaise and fiber content will be boosted when served with burger toppings (lettuce, tomato, onions, pickles, etc.) Number of servings (yield): 6