Sweet Potato Chili
Recipe Developed by Tessa Nguyen, RD, LDN in partnership with NCSPC
This heartwarming chili is made with a variety of beans and sweet potatoes before being simmered in spiced and diced tomatoes. This is a crowd-pleaser as it’s budget friendly, readily whipped up in a slow-cooker and can be easily made vegan-friendly by omitting the beef.
2 cans (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with chilies
1 can (14.5 ounces) kidney beans
1 can (14.5 ounces) black beans
1 can (14.5 ounces) garbanzo beans
1 pound lean ground beef (93% lean)
1 large sweet potato, diced
1 large bell pepper, diced
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dried red chili flakes, to taste
2 cups low sodium vegetable stock or water
- Rinse all beans under cool water until water runs clear.
- In a large slow cooker, add in all ingredients and stir well.
- Set heat to low and cook chili for at least 4 hours.
- Serve chili hot with optional toppings.
- You can substitute 1 teaspoon of garlic powder for the 4 fresh garlic cloves.
- You can substitute 1 tablespoon of onion powder for the 1 medium onion.
- Optional toppings can include plain Greek yogurt, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onions, sliced jalapeños or chopped white onions
Number of servings (yield): 12