Sweet Potato Noodles with Creamy Almond Sauce
Author: Jenné : Created in partnership with Sweet Potato Soul for the NC Sweet Potato Commission
- ¼ cup almond butter or peanut butter
- ⅔ cup water
- juice of 2 limes
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp maple syrup, coconut nectar, or agave
- 1-2 tbsp coconut or grapeseed oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 Thai chili pepper, chopped (seeded if you don’t like it very spicy) or ½ jalepeño pepper
- ½ red pepper, chopped or thinly sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- ½ package extra firm tofu, about 1 cup, cubed
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and tips cut off
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ cup toasted chopped almonds or peanuts
- lime wedges for serving
- Pour your sauce ingredients (almond butter, water, lime juice, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, and maple syrup) into a sauce pot on medium heat.
- Whisk vigorously until smooth, as the contents begin to simmer.
- Reduce to low heat, cover, and allow the sauce to continue cooking.
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion, Thai chili, and red pepper, and cook until the veggies begin to soften (3 minutes).
- Add the red cabbage and broccoli, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Make a space in the middle of the skillet, and add the cubed tofu. Allow it to brown on each side for a few minutes, before stirring all of the veggies and tofu together.
- Cook for another 5 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender.
- While the veggies are cooking, spiralize the sweet potatoes.
- Once the veggies are cooked, remove them from the skillet.
- Pour the almond sauce into the skillet on medium heat, immediately followed by the spiralized sweet potato noodles.
- Stir to coat and combine.
- Cover and allow the sauce and noodles to cook for 8 minutes. After 8 minutes stir and taste to see if the sweet potatoes are soft enough to your liking. They will need no more than 15 minutes to cook. Be careful to not overcook them.
- Remove from heat, and stir in the cooked vegetables.
- Serve with chopped cilantro, toasted almonds/peanuts, and a lime wedge.
- Enjoy hot, room temperature, or chilled.