Sweetpotato Deviled Eggs
CREATED FOR THE NORTH CAROLINA SWEETPOTATO COMMISSION BY JESSICA BENTLEY
We’ve kicked our classic deviled eggs recipe up a notch with a tasty twist of silky sweetpotatoes, salty bacon, cool sour cream, and creamy cheese. What’s not to love here, folks? These bad boys are the perfect addition to your Easter celebration, summer cookouts or later this year for the holiday season.
NOT A COOK? NOT A PROBLEM. THIS RECIPE IS INCREDIBLY SIMPLE TO MAKE:
Once you’ve boiled your eggs, go ahead and dunk them into an ice bath to make the peeling process easier.
Cut them in half and place the yolks in a food processor with the baked sweetpotato and other fixings.
Spoon the mixture into a ziplock bag and cut the bottom tip off to create a make-shift piping tube. Squeeze the deviled egg mixture into each egg half and sprinkle with additional toppings.
Boom, that’s it! To make these ahead of time, go ahead and do everything the night before! They’ll stay good in the fridge overnight, just make sure to place them in a container with a lid.
- 1 medium sweetpotato, cooked & cooled
- 12 Hard Boiled Eggs, cut in half
- 2 tsp. Dijon Mustard, or to taste
- ½ cup Sour Cream or Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (Cheddar, Pepper Jack and Colby Jack work well)
- 2 tbsp. Heavy Cream+
- Salt + Pepper, to taste (I used White Pepper)
- 1 dash of Tabasco, optional
For the Garnish:
- 4 – 5 strips of Bacon, cooked & chopped
- Green Onion or Chives, sliced thinly
- Paprika, to taste
- Bake sweetpotato in a 400F oven for roughly 45 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
- Cut hard-boiled eggs in half, lengthwise, and place the yolks in a food processor with the cooked sweetpotato, Dijon mustard, sour cream, shredded cheese and heavy cream (plus optional tabasco). Add a dash of salt & pepper and then pulse until smooth. +If you want to thin out the mixture, add more heavy cream until you’ve reached your desired consistency.
- Taste and adjust any ingredients, as preferred.
- Place deviled egg mixture into a ziplock bag and cut off the bottom tip to create a piping bag. Squeeze filling into each hard boiled egg and garnish with bacon, green onions and paprika.
- Set in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to chill. Enjoy that day or within 24 hours.
Serves: 24 Eggs