Sweetpotato Cottage Pie
- 1-1/2 pounds sweetpotatoes, about 2 large
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic, 1 large clove
- 1 pound ground beef, 90% lean
- 1 can (15 ounce tomato sauce)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or herbes de Provence, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350° Oil a 6 to 8 cup shallow baking dish.
- Pierce sweetpotato skins. Microwave until tender, about 4 to 6 minutes; cool.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook and stir 1 minute.
- Add beef; cook and stir until it just begins to brown.
- Stir in tomato sauce, Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon of the thyme and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Transfer to baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Scoop sweetpotato from skins into medium bowl. Add butter, milk, remaining ½ teaspoon thyme and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. With electric beater, beat until smooth. Spread over meat in baking dish.
- Bake until bubbly, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Number of servings (yield): 4-6 Nutrition per serving: 386 calories; 34 g carbohydrates; 6g fiber, 15 g total fat