Sweetpotato Burger with Avocado
Recipe by Kim’s Cravings. We all know and love a good veggie burger, but this sweetpotato veggie burger with avocado takes that love to a whole new level! Try for that outdoor summer barbecue or share on a platter for football party season. These sweets will be a hit with everyone.
Calories: 270Print Recipe
- 1 large sweetpotato yielding 1 cup puree
- 1 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, chickpeas
- 1 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs, use gluten-free, as needed
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1/4 cup celery, diced
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- Spring mix lettuce
- Pickled onions
- Your favorite burger buns
- For guacamole topping use this recipe!
- Bake, microwave, or boil your sweet potato until tender. Remove/discard potato skin and, using a food processor or blender, puree the sweetpotato until smooth but thick. Transfer the sweetpotato to a large mixing bowl.
- Next, add rinsed garbanzo beans to the food processor. Pulse just a few times to break up the beans, still leaving lots of texture. Add beans to large mixing bowl with sweetpotato.
- Add bread crumbs to the sweetpotato mixture. Then, sauté bell pepper, onion and celery over medium-high heat.
- Once your veggies are cooked, add them, along with the egg and seasonings to the bowl with the sweetpotato mixture. Stir to incorporate and divide burger mixture into 6 balls.
- Cup each ball in your hands and squeeze, pressing it into a round compact patty. Refrigerate patties for approx. 30 minutes to set.
- To cook, spray a large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium to high heat. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the patty is golden and the center is warm. Cooking times will vary a bit depending on the size of your burgers and type of pan/skillet used, so aim for a crispy outside with a warm tender center.
- Once done, pile a lightly toasted bun high with greens, patty and top it off with a generous helping of guac and dig in!
Recipe analyzed with 1 medium avocado for 6 servings: Recipe analyzed without bun. An average bun will add 100 calories & 30+ grams of carbohydrate
Serves: 6 per container