Sweetpotato Bread Pudding
Recipe Developed by Tessa Nguyen, RD, LDN in Partnership with NCSPC Revamped bread pudding with bites of sweetpotato and hints of dark chocolate chips make for a custardy, light dessert that’s budget-wise and slow-cooker friendly.
Calories: 220Print Recipe
- 6 cups stale bread, cut into 2” pieces
- 2 cups sweetpotatoes, cut into 1/2” pieces
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 6 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray your slow cooker insert or a 13” x 9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients, stirring well to coat bread.
- Let bread pudding mixture sit for 5 minutes before pouring into the slow cooker insert or greased baking dish.
- Set slow cooker to the low setting and cook for 4 hours or bake dish for 40-50 minutes at 375°F until sweetpotatoes are soft and chocolate chips are melted. Slice into 12 even pieces and serve hot.
You can use skim, 1%, 2% or whole fat milk. You can also substitute milk for a plant based option, such as soy or almond milk. You can freeze individual servings for future quick dessert options. Just place the number of servings you need in the refrigerator the night before. Microwave for 15-30 seconds and you have a warm dessert ready to enjoy.