Sweet Potato Bread Pudding
Revamped bread pudding with bites of sweet potato and hints of dark chocolate chips make for a custardy, light dessert that’s budget-wise and slow-cooker friendly.
6 cups stale bread, cut into 2” pieces
2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2” pieces
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Spray your slow cooker insert or a 13” x 9” baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and brown sugar until sugar has dissolved.
- Mix in all remaining ingredients, stirring well to coat bread.
- Let bread pudding mixture sit for 5 minutes before pouring into the slow cooker insert or greased baking dish.
- Set slow cooker to the low setting and cook for 4 hours or bake dish for 40-50 minutes at 375°F until sweet potatoes are soft and chocolate chips are melted. Slice into 12 even pieces and serve hot.
- You can use skim, 1%, 2% or whole fat milk. You can also substitute milk for a plant based option, such as soy or almond milk.
- You can freeze individual servings for future quick dessert options. Just place the number of servings you need in the refrigerator the night before. Microwave for 15-30 seconds and you have a warm dessert ready to enjoy.
Number of servings (yield): 12