- 1-1/2 cups flour
- 2-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium sweetpotato
- 1/4 cup milk
- Coarse salt
- Sesame seeds
- Cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt together into a large bowl.
- Add butter and by hand work it into the flour mixture until it becomes a coarse mealy texture.
- Cook sweetpotato in boiling water until softened. Cool, remove skin and purée with milk to make a smooth mixture.
- Beat 1 cup of the sweetpotato purée into flour and then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Knead well about 80 turns. Divide dough into 4 pieces and roll each very thin. Cut into rounds or squares; sprinkle with salt, sesame seeds and a little cayenne, if desired.
- Bake in oven on an ungreased cookie sheet for 10 minutes until bottoms are slightly browned. Turn over and bake 3-4 minutes more. Cool on rack before storing in a airtight container.
Number of servings (yield): 8 Nutrition per serving (6 pieces): 149 calories; 3 g protein; 23 g carbohydrates; 1 g dietary fiber; 5 g total fat