Smashed Sweet Potatoes with Browned Butter, Parmesan, Bacon & Sage
Recipe by The Beach House Kitchen
Searching for a unique appetizer that takes only a few minutes to whip up? We promise these Smashed Sweet Potatoes are just what you’re looking for. Savory browned butter paired with sage and parmesan – and did we mention bacon, too? The appetizers of all appetizers, ya’ll!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, sliced into 1-inch thick rounds
- 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
- kosher salt and pepper
- 8 slices bacon, diced
- 4 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 3 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 F degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine sweet potato slices and olive oil. Toss to coat. Place slices on a large baking sheet lined with parchment paper in an even layer. Sprinkle each slice, top and bottom with kosher salt and pepper. Roast for 20 minutes. Flip and continue roasting for another 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- While potatoes are baking, cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy. Remove from skillet to a paper towel lined plate. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small pot over medium heat stirring occasionally. Watch carefully so it doesn’t burn. Cook for 3-4 minutes until the butter begins to give off a nutty aroma and begins to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
- When potatoes are done baking, remove from oven. Using a fork, scrape the flesh of the potato rounds, keeping skin intact. Brush each round with browned butter, then sprinkle with brown sugar. Return to the oven to bake for an additional 5-7 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with parmesan, bacon and sage leaves. Serve warm.
Number of servings (yield): 6-8 servings
Recipe analyzed for 8 servings: