Saint Martin Supper
Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by The Porch, Kitchen and Cantina - Winston-Salem, NC
For the smashed sweetpotatoes:
- 4 medium sweetpotatoes
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup Pickapeppa Sauce, or to taste
For the mango habañero pico de gallo:
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 fresh mango, diced
- ½ of a medium red onion, diced
- Habañero pepper, slivered and added to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt to taste
To assemble the dish:
- 2 pounds roasted pork, shredded
- 3 cups cooked black beans
- Honduran or Mexican crema or sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro.
Roast the sweetpotatoes:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub and peel the sweetpotatoes. Cut into 2-inch dice.
- Toss diced potatoes and vegetable oil in a large bowl until potatoes are coated with oil. Spread diced potatoes on a large baking sheet.
- Roast sweetpotatoes until tender, 20-25 minutes.
Prepare the pico de gallo:
- While potatoes are roasting, gently stir together the red bell pepper, mango, onion, habanero, cilantro, lime juice and salt in a large bowl.
- Set aside.
- Remove sweetpotatoes from the oven and immediately place them in a large bowl.
- Add butter and Pickapeppa Sauce.
- Mash hot sweetpotatoes until ingredients are mixed but the potatoes are rough-mashed.
Assemble the dish:
- Arrange four shallow soup bowls on the work surface.
- Evenly divide potatoes between the bowls.
- Evenly divide beans over potatoes in each bowl. Do the same with the pork.
- Place a few tablespoons of pico over the meat.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of crema or sour cream. Serve with more pico, cream, lime wedges, sliced green onions and chopped cilantro at the table.