Individual Sweet Potato Breakfast Pizzas
Recipe: Individual Sweet Potato Breakfast Pizzas
Summary: Adapted from Healthy Food for Living blog, Finalist in 2012 No More ‘Mallows Contest
- 4 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- All-purpose flour, for rolling out dough
- 1 pound whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature, divided into 4 equal portions (4 oz each)
- 1 cup freshly-shredded Gouda cheese
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 cup diced chives
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Place one pound sweet potatoes directly on the rack and bake until very soft, about 1 hour. Remove from oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes. Peel and puree flesh until smooth; reserve 1 cup.
- Increase oven heat to 450°F. Peel remaining sweet potatoes and cut into 1/2-inch dice. Toss 2 cups of the diced sweet potatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, the garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper to taste; place in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast, stirring halfway, until softened but not yet crisp, about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Lightly flour a clean, flat work surface. Roll each ball of dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness (about 7 inches in diameter).
- With remaining 1 teaspoon oil, lightly coat rimless baking sheet. Transfer rolled out dough to baking sheet.
- Spread pureed sweet potato over the surface of each dough round, about 1/4 cup each, leaving about a 1/2-inch border. Top each with 1/4 cup shredded Gouda. Add 1/2 cup of the roasted sweet potato cubes, leaving an open space in the center of the pizza.
- Carefully crack one egg into the center of the sweet potato cubes on each pizza; bake for 8 minutes. Carefully remove the baking sheet from underneath the pizzas, and continue to cook directly on the oven rack until the crusts are golden brown on the bottom, the cheese is melted, and the egg whites are fully set, about 2-4 additional minutes. Carefully remove pizzas from oven. Season to taste with salt and pepper; top each pizza with 1 tablespoon diced chives.
Number of servings (yield): 4 individual pizzas