Dirt Candy Salad
Recipe by The Asbury’s Executive Chef Chris Coleman for the NCSPC
- Dirt Candy Salad
- 1 orange sweetpotato, peeled, medium dice
- 1 white sweetpotato, peeled, medium dice
- 1 purple sweetpotato, peeled, medium dice
- 4 baby hakeuri turnips
- 4 baby beets
- 1 french breakfast radish, shaved thinly
- baby swiss chard leaves
- Lime Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon sorghum molasses
- 1 lime
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 slice sourdough
- 1/4 cup dehydrated olives
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon pistachios, toasted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Dirt Candy Salad: Roast all veg until tender by wrapping in individual foil pouches with salt and a pinch of sugar. Allow to cool, dip each piece in lime yogurt (recipe followthen coat in “dirt” (another recipe to follow), and arrange on a serving plate. Toss the radish and chard in a little olive oil and lime juice and arrange artfully around veg.
- Lime Yogurt: Caramelize sorghum over medium heat, cooking until it is dark brown and very sweet smelling. Deglaze with fresh lime juice. Allow to cool, then mix thoroughly with greek yogurt.
- "Dirt": Toast bread until dry. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and resembles soil.