Classic Sweet Potato Salad
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 pound thin green beans, trimmed
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 6 ounces smoked ham steak, diced into small cubes
- 3 small scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook potatoes until almost tender, about 6 minutes.
- Add green beans to pot; cook 2 to 4 minutes, until green beans are crisp tender and potatoes are just tender. Drain.
- In a large deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil over medium-high heat. Add ham, cook, stirring frequently, 3 to 5 minutes, until golden brown. Remove from heat. Let cool 2 minutes.
- Add scallions, remaining oil, lemon juice, mustard, mayonnaise, salt, pepper and 2 tablespoon water to ham until well blended.
- Add potatoes, green beans and dill; toss and serve.
Number of servings (yield): 4-6