Cheesy Sweet Potato Sausage Spread
1st Place Winner
2013 Dixie Classic Fair
“Anything But Ordinary” Recipe Contest
Sweet Potato Sausage Dip
- 2 cups of diced sweet potatoes (about a ¼ of an inch cubed)
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 pound of breakfast sausage
- ¼ small onion, chopped (¼ cup)
- 1 small sweet red bell pepper (¼ cup)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 oz. of Colby jack cheese, shredded
- 8 oz. of cream cheese
- 1-14.5 oz. can of Italian diced tomatoes (slightly drained)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine olive oil and cayenne pepper
- Toss sweet potatoes gently to coat.
- Spread evenly on a baking pan and bake 350 degrees for 35-40 min or until tender. Stirring if needed.
- In a medium frying pan, add sausage, chopped onion, and chopped red bell pepper. Cook until brown.
- Drain grease and press garlic into sausage mixture. Cook for 2-3 min.
- Add cream cheese, ¼ cup of Colby Jack cheese, roasted sweet potatoes and canned tomatoes. Stir until well blended.
- Add sausage mixture to a small baking dish. Top with the remaining Colby jack cheese, and bake until cheese is melted, approx. 5 minutes.
- Serve with Toasted Baguettes
- 1 French loaf Baguette
- 1 tsp. of Italian seasoning
- ½ cup of olive oil
- 1-2 oz. of parmesan cheese
- Turn up oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut French loaf in quarter inch slices
- In a small bowl add Italian seasoning to olive oil and mix well.
- Brush olive oil mixture onto each slice of bread and place on baking sheet.
- Sprinkle finely shredded parmesan cheese to cover bread pieces.
- Toast at 375 degrees for 7 min.