Created exclusively for NC SweetPotato Commission by Cortez Seafood & Cocktail - Raleigh, NC
- 5 Beauregard sweetpotatoes or any variety grown in North Carolina
- 10 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 3 oranges, juiced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 handful fresh oyster mushrooms, brushed clean
- 1 handful fresh spinach
- Peel and quarter the sweetpotatoes and place in a large pot along with the garlic and salt.
- Add water to cover sweetpotatoes and place the pot over high heat. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat. Simmer the sweetpotatoes until they are fork tender. ( approx 20 mins)
- Remove from heat. Do not drain the sweetpotatoes. Let them cool in their cooking liquid. Purée the potatoes and their liquid along with ginger and orange juice in a blender or food processor. Alternately, use a hand blender to puree the mixture in the pot.
- Strain through fine woven colander.
- Gently reheat the soup in the pot over medium-low heat.
- While the soup is reheating, place a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the pan is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Add the mushrooms and saute until lightly browned.
- Just before they are done, add the spinach and saute the greens until they are just wilted.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Salt if needed
- Divide the mushroom and spinach mixture between four bowls.