- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- wooden skewers
- In pot, heat oil until boiling.
- Carefully add sliced sweet potato without overcrowding; cook about 5-8 minutes.
- Add sugar; when sugar has melted completely, begin to stir so that the caramel coats the sweet potatoes.
- When they are generously coated with caramel, with a slotted spoon, remove sweet potato from oil.
Hint: Don’t drain on paper towels because the sugar will end up sticking to it and you’ll lose your beautiful coating. Instead, allow oil to drip as you scoop the sweet potatoes out and place on a plate; allow to cool until the caramel hardens, about 2 minutes. Thread onto skewers and serve warm.