Sweetpotato, Chicken and Veggies (Two Ways)
- 2 pounds medium-sized sweetpotatoes, 5 potatoes, 6 to 7 ounces each
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cutlets), cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 large sweet red and/or green peppers, cut in 1-inch squares
- 1 medium onion, cut in 1-inch pieces, layers separated
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup honey mustard
- Pierce sweetpotatoes with fork tines. Microwave on HIGH 3 minutes. Turn potatoes and microwave until almost tender, about 1-1/2 to 3 minutes longer depending on microwave power. Cool.
- Peel and cut sweetpotatoes in 1-inch pieces (makes about 4 cups).
- In medium bowl, combine 32 sweetpotato pieces and 24 chicken, pepper and onion pieces (this should be about half of each ingredient); set aside.
- In large skillet heat oil. Add the remaining half of sweetpotato, chicken, peppers and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook and stir gently until chicken is no longer pink, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to a microwavable bowl. Cover and refrigerate for pita filling variation.
- VARIATIONS: DAY ONE: SWEETPOTATO AND CHICKEN SKEWERS
- Into reserved sweetpotato mixture in bowl, stir combination of honey mustard and 2 tablespoons water.
- On 8 skewers, alternately thread sweetpotatoes, chicken and vegetables.
- Heat large grill pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat until hot or preheat broiler. Arrange skewers in grill pan or on broiler pan coated with cooking spray, brushing with any honey mustard remaining in bowl.
- Cook until chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Serve hot over steamed spinach, if desired.
- VARIATION DAY TWO: STUFFED PITAS WITH FETA AND OLIVES
- To reserved cooked sweetpotato, chicken and vegetable mixture, add 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1/2 cup prepared Greek or vinaigrette salad dressing and 1/2 cup sliced black olives.
- Microwave, lightly covered, just until hot.
- Spoon mixture into 4 large pita pockets. Add chopped tomato, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4