Baby Bok Choy & Chili Chicken Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Created by a registered dietitian for NCSP Recipe Contest with the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 6 medium sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 chicken thighs
- 3 cups loosely packed, coarsely chopped baby bok choy
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fig balsamic vinegar
- Garnish with ½ cup roasted cashew pieces
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Scrub sweet potatoes with vegetable brush, wrap in aluminum foil, then bake for one hour, or until soft. In a medium bowl, mix smoked paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, cocoa, garlic powder, black pepper and salt together. Stir in 2 tablespoons olive oil, then toss in chicken to generously coat.
- Set broiler on high and move potatoes to lower rack in oven. Place seasoned chicken on broiling pan 6 inches under broiler. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes per side, or until there is no pink inside the thigh and outside has darkened. Be sure to reset the oven back to 400°F after and move potatoes to middle of oven. Set chicken aside to rest and come to room temperature. Once cooled, cut into small pieces.
- Chop bok choy and red bell pepper and place in medium bowl. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons olive oil with 2 tablespoons fig vinegar. Toss with vegetable mixture. Add the chicken and toss again.
- To assemble, slice the sweet potatoes open lengthwise and mash the insides slightly. Scoop out 1/3 cup of each sweet potato, then scoop 1/3 cup of the bok choy/chicken mixture into the middle of each sweet potato. Sprinkle with nuts for garnish. Note: For an extra stuffed sweet potato, keep the 1/3 cup mashed sweet potato or mix in with bok choy/chicken mixture.
Number of servings (yield): 6 stuffed potatoes