Easy Sweetpotato Cinnamon Rolls
Created for the North Carolina SweetPotato Commission by:
Nicole Barby, Raleigh, NC
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry (thawed)
- 1 cup brown sugar (softened)
- ½ stick butter
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 large NC sweetpotatoes (cooked and cooled)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- (If frozen) Thaw frozen puff pastry, overnight in the refrigerator or 30 minutes at room temperature.
- On lightly floured surface, roll together segments in puff pastry to seal together.
- Peel cooked sweetpotatoes, and puree them in food processor until smooth.
- To make cinnamon roll filling: Combine 1 cup of brown sugar, ½ Stick of softened butter and 1 tablespoon of Cinnamon together. Using spoon, mix until well combined. Mixture should be thick.
- To Assemble: On previously rolled puff pastry sheet, spread even layer of sweetpotato puree covering whole surface. Be careful not to overfill. Generously sprinkle brown sugar mixture across top of sweetpotato puree.
- Next, to roll, start on one side. Push and roll tightly until a complete roll has formed a “log”. Wrap cinnamon roll log in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or 30 minutes for a quick chill. After cinnamon rolls have chilled, cut to desired thickness (2in recommended) using sharp knife.
- Butter baking dish or cast iron pan, arrange cinnamon rolls close together starting in center of pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until fully baked and golden brown.
- Prepare glaze while cinnamon rolls cool. In bowl, combine powdered sugar, add milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached. Spoon over.