Caribbean Stuffed Plantains
Recipe: Caribbean Stuffed Plantains
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups cubed sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced celery
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 2 plantains
- In large skillet, brown beef in 1 tablespoon olive oil; stir to break into bits.
- Add sweet potatoes, onion, pepper, celery and garlic; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, oregano, red pepper, salt and parsley; simmer 10 minutes to blend flavors.
- In skillet, heat remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Slice plantains lengthwise into 4 strips each. Sauté in hot oil until golden.
- Remove from heat and shape into rings. Fasten ends with toothpick. Fill center with sweet potato filling. If desired, garnish with fresh sprigs of oregano, pineapple wedge and star fruit.
Number of servings (yield): 4
Nutrition per serving: 655 calories; 23 g protein; 52 carbohydrates; 14 g saturated fat