Sweet Southern Lady
Created by Sam Etheridge of Ambrozia, Asheville, NC
- 1 sweet potato
- 1/4 of a lemon
- 5 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 oz sorghum vanilla syrup
- 1 oz rye whiskey
- 3/4 oz brandy
- 1 candied sweet potato skin slice
- Juice sweet potato (with the skin on) and lemon (with rind off). Add juice to a pot and bring to 185-190 degrees F.
- Add sorghum vanilla syrup to pot, then remove from heat.
- Muddle four sage leaves and place in a small strainer. Place strainer over mug and pour whiskey and brandy over the sage through the strainer. Repeat for the sweet potato juice.
- Garnish with one candied sweet potato strip and one expressed sage leaf.
- (Note: the candied sweet potato skin slice is a peeled skin strip, which is dipped in maple syrup and dehydrated.)
Sorghum Vanilla Syrup
Combine equal parts sorghum and hot water mixed with two sliced up vanilla beans. Let sit for 24 hours at room temperature.