Sweetpotato Veggie Meatballs
Recipe by: May I Have That RecipeFrom football parties to holiday cocktail hors d’oeuvres, these little guys are the perfect small bites that are packed with flavor! Serve with a tangy barbecue sauce to bring out the sweetpotatoes and they’re sure to disappear faster than any other appetizer.
- 1 large sweetpotato, peeled, shredded thin, using the small blade of the box grater (about 2 cups shredded)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- ⅓ cup vital gluten
- 2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Coat a mini muffin tin generously with cooking spray.
- Shred the sweetpotato and squeeze the excess water out of it. Place it in a large bowl and set aside.
- Combine the pecans, gluten, water, melted coconut oil, garlic, paprika, salt and cinnamon in the food processor, and pulse until all the ingredients come together to form a paste. Add it to the sweetpotatoes and mix well, using your hands
- Working with one tablespoon and a half of mixture at a time, form 15 balls (we like to use a small ice cream scoop so they are all even in size). Place them in the mini muffin tin and bake them for 45 minutes.
- Right before serving, heat BBQ sauce in low heat. Add the veggie meatballs and cook until warm and coated with the BBQ sauce.
- Alternatively, if you don’t want to shred the sweetpotatoes by hand you can cut the sweetpotato in 8 pieces, place in the food processor and chop it until really fine, add the rest of the ingredients, except for the BBQ sauce and process until you get a smooth “dough”
To make plant milk ice cubes Fill an ice cube tray with your favorite plant milk (I used almond milk). Place in freezer overnight. You can user regualr ice instead but it will be a thicker creamier smoothie if you use plant milk ice cubes, and it will not taste watered down. Recipe analyzed for 8 servings.