Sweet Potato and Ginger Slaw
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- 1½ tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ pounds sweet potatoes, julienned or shredded (about 5-½ cups)*
- ½ cup toasted walnuts pieces
- ¼ cup sliced scallions
- In large bowl, whisk together oil, lime juice, sugar, ginger and salt.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, walnuts and scallions.
- Chill before serving.
Number of servings (yield): 6 cups
Nutrition per serving (1 cup): 252 calories, 15g fat, 257mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate; 4g fiber, 4g protein
* Like most foods in a diabetic diet, everything should be enjoyed in moderation. To get the most bang for your bite, eat sweet potatoes cooked with the skins on or raw, such as in a slaw, for a low-to-medium glycemic index.